The 359-acre Renken Ranch is the last remaining parcel (for sale) of the original 20,000 acre Decker Ranch, which was established in 1846. The Deckers, of German descent, were sponsored by Henry Castro, the Spanish empresario who founded Castroville. The family still has the original deeds for the property from the Republic of Texas. This historical ranch is located only 5.5 miles north of Hondo on State Hwy 173. Stone was quarried from the ranch for the construction of Medina County Courthouse in 1893 and again in 1942. TOPOGRAPHY: Approximately 75 acres on the east portion of the ranch is dry farmland and is completely fenced. The land is level to gently rolling, and seasonal Verde Creek runs through it. A quarry is located in the near the southern boundary of the property. A wet weather slough empties into a small, clay-lined tank below the quarry that could be enlarged. BRUSH: The ranch has black brush, mesquite, persimmon, albino and native mountain laurel, hackberry, and purple elm. There are massive oak trees growing throughout the ranch, with the largest oak motts at the back of the property along the western boundary. Sycamore trees are located all along Verde Creek, which may indicate subterranean springs that could be made into water features. There is plentiful coastal bermuda and buffel grass for grazing. WATER: An Edwards well, approximately 316' deep, pump depth of 294', and a static water level of 214'. A concrete trough is beside it. IMPROVEMENTS: The ranch has a great network of roads, allowing access throughout the entire property. It is completely perimeter fenced, with low fencing on three sides, and the west side is mostly high fenced. There is cross fencing to separate the farmland (on the eastern end) from the remainder of the ranch. Upon request, owners will furnish names of those interested in leasing the farmland. An all-metal pole barn provides an area for hay, ATVs, or a small airplane (which was once housed there). A septic tank is located at the base camp, along with an Edwards well and concrete trough. There is a an all metal (pipe) set of working pens. WILDLIFE: With a bountiful supply of high protein browse, there are large whitetail on the ranch, and the herd has been managed by the same conservative group of hunters since the mid-eighties. Turkeys tend to roost in a large cluster of oak trees near the clay-lined tank. There are dove, bobwhite quail, hogs, bobcats, foxes, and other native varmints. HISTORY: This is the site from which rock was quarried for the Medina County Courthouse in 1893 and again in 1942 (for the addition to the courthouse). Although the property has never been dug, there are many large Indian mounds all along Verde Creek. Recently, a button from a First Cavalry military hat was found with a metal detector near the well. TAX EXEMPTION: An Agriculture exemption is in place. MINERAL AND WATER RIGHTS: All mineral rights and water rights are 100% owned by Sellers and will convey with the sale.
©2023 San Antonio Board of REALTORS®. All rights reserved. - Certain information contained herein is derived from information which is the licensed property of, and copyrighted by, San Antonio Board of REALTORS®. Listing #1658713 Courtesy of Riata Realty